Joy can be infused into your loved one’s day when you take time to have meaningful conversations. Reminiscing about past experiences and connecting over a person’s interests can help provide a sense of belonging.
We have five quick tips to help you drive the conversations:
- Don’t Ask them to Remember.Those with memory loss will generally be better at chatting rather than answering questions.
- Be Patient.Go with the flow, limiting each statement to a few words at a time and giving your loved one time to search for recognition.
- Be Reassuring.Acknowledge their feelings and help them move past any negative thoughts. Be aware of your tone of voice, the emotional content of the conversation and your rhythm.
- Phrase Your Messages. Don’t argue. Accept ‘blame’ and spin conversation in a positive light.
- Redirect.Offer simple choices (This or That) and introduce new interesting topics when necessary.