Practical Advice for the Alzheimer's Caregiving Journey
Dr. Chang, board-certified in geriatrics and internal medicine, provided an overview of the stages of Alzheimer’s disease, the FAST scale, and some sage advice on how to prepare for this progressive disease. He also discussed the importance of an Advance Healthcare Directive. Here are a few informative links:
- Dr. Chang’s presentation
- Advance Healthcare Directive: state form
- FAST – Functional Assessment Staging Test
Todd Shetter’s presentation was for the caregiver and provided tips for addressing many challenges. Highlights of his talk include:
- Understand ‘normal’ aging and know the warning signs of more significant memory loss.
- The health of the caregiver is essential. Ask for AND accept help.
- Ask yourself, "What if it could be better?"
- Guilt can be paralyzing. To avoid a build-up/blow-up situation, create a plan and move forward.
His full presentation can be found here. Local resources are on the last page.
Need more help? Representatives at ActivCare can provide more helpful tips or help you find additional resources. Please contact a community near you at 888-636-5677. Or visit our caregiver library at activcareliving.com.
Join our mailing list to be informed about future educational events.